The professional world can be a tough place and the overwhelming majority of successful professionals would agree that their job is not easy. The factor which differentiates between those professionals who consistently succeed and those who fall short is the ability of a professional to persevere when times are difficult. Mental toughness comes easier for some, so here are 7 techniques to becoming more mentally tough:
Overcome Your Fear
- The fear of failure can be a major roadblock in a professional’s journey to success. Overcoming this fear is one of the most important steps when working to become mentally tough. While this does not indicate a complete lack of fear, a professional who is mentally tough understands there is nothing to benefit from worry or apprehension.
- Taking time to consider tactics is important, but once a decision is made a mentally tough person will pursue the objective relentlessly, committing to the task while putting aside fear.
Set Goals & Compete With Yourself
- Setting aggressive goals can be crucial in getting a person through times of adversity. By concentrating all efforts on the outcome, a mentally tough professional will not be easily shaken by obstacles or temporary setbacks.
- There is a direct correlation between those professionals who are mentally tough and those who are competitive, and creating a challenge for oneself to concentrate on can be the most driving, rewarding, and healthy type of competition. Only by being challenged to exceed goals and expectations can a professional truly grow in their abilities and as a person.
Welcome Criticism – Then Destroy It
- Don’t shun criticism. A true mentally tough professional welcomes and respects criticism, especially if it comes from those whose opinion the professional trusts. The professional can significantly expedite their professional development by humbling themselves and listening to the criticism, but it takes a great deal of mental fortitude to hear constructive criticism and use it to make improvements.
- To go a step further, a truly resilient business brain knows that even criticism that is harshest from the most avid opponent can provide valuable insight into weaknesses with the potential to be transformed into strengths.
Practice Serenity & Live In The Now
- Being objective at all times is one of the most important
- aspects of mental toughness in a business professional. Understanding the importance of being mindful of the present situation will allow a professional to focus and work more effectively.
- Simply put, a professional should treat past mistakes as learning opportunities and distinguish between situations that are and are not in their control. This will allow personal emotions to detach, preventing a negative effect on self-efficiency. Professionals who are successful are able to keep things in perspective and direct their efforts towards the outcomes that are within the individual’s realm of control.
Don’t Give In Or Give Up
- Stories of incredibly tough times, self-doubt, and the temptation to throw in the towel are common among many entrepreneurs and successful professionals. However, to have heard the story means they found a way to persevere and push through the hardship. Don’t ever give in, compromise your passion, or give up on a goal. The most common and necessary characteristic of all entrepreneurs and successful professionals is the ability to keep moving when others would have already given up. This necessary quality takes a great deal of drive and mental toughness.
Don’t Whine & Work Hard
- Whines and complaints have no place in the business world. If a comment will not make an effort to fix a problem or improve a situation IT IS A WASTE OF TIME for the individual and everyone around them. Don’t focus attention on the negatives of a situation, be mentally tough and dedicate the time and energy to working hard, finding a way, and smashing the goal.
- An individual with mental toughness doesn’t have to think about outworking their competition, it is an automatic instinct because they know that hard work leads to consistent success. Sheer grit and determination can achieve great things
Practice these techniques for becoming mentally tough and see just how much success you are really capable of.